Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Selections Part 2 cont...

For my second picture I wanted to try to put my face onto someone elses head. It was a much more difficult task than anticipated but I like the results. It also allowed me to use some of the lessons learned in the last chapter to make the image more realistic.

I choose a picture of Conan the Barbarian, I know being humorous was not part of the assignment, but I felt comfortable enough with the material that I could make a humorous image with relative ease. Throughout the process of making this image, I decided to take screen captures, since I am a very visual-oriented person, looking at these helps jog my memory on the steps I took, and also allows people to visualize the process as reading.

Let's start off with my picture and the picture of Conan, who is played by current Californian govener and long-term movie star, Arnold Schwarzenegger.





The first step I took was to remove my face from the image. I flipped it horizontally and used the magnetic lasso tool to select a similiar edge to Arnold's face.



Refining the edge, I made it more round, removed the feather and took away any 'radius'. This made a clean 'cut' and allowed me to past the image right onto the face.



Using the opacity feature again, I lined up my faces features and Arnold's, making a decent match. Because of our actual face proportions I slightly stretched my face vertically to make it appear more realistic. Ideally, I could have cut my face out identical to how his was, matching with the shadow, but I found a sort of 'work around' I'll discuss later.



Our skin tones are way off. (That lack of Juneau sun really shows!) so I altered the curves, as well as the color balance to make them more similiar. I find out here that matching skin color can be extremely hard. I now understand a reason behind the 'dancing images' being black and white. I also used the smudge tool to slightly blend under my chin and on the side of my head.



I added some noise to the image next, to make our skin texture more similiar.



The final step I wanted to take was to make the lighting on my face more similiar to that in the original image. Because I didn't include the 'face shadows', I wanted to darken the back of my face and increase the brightness on the front. This feature is extremely easy to use and helps in making depth in the image.

I am fairly happy with the results. Because of my troubles with matching the skin tone I also converted it to black and white just to see what it looks like. The images are juxtaposed below.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the screen shots documenting your good work. What software are you using to save your screen shots? I've tried saving internet screen shots with Word and they are never as clear as yours.
    Great choice of pictures. And great results.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete